One would postulate that with thousands of combatants, hurling all types of ordinance at each other; infantry on the ground would die in random bunches. After all how could a complex operation, like a live battle be orchestrated to only cause those whose time is up to be mortally wounded. Alas, spirit communications from veterans tell us a different story.
Conversation from a Soldier
In the book, The Spiritist Review, Journal of Psychological Studies of 1859, which has all twelve monthly magazines from 1859 in one volume, there are two communications from a group of mediums to soldiers. One is a regular infantry soldier, the other is an officer; both died in combat.
The battle in which both died was the Battle of Magenta. Wikipedia describes the war and the battle:
“The Battle of Magenta was fought on 4 June 1859 during the Second Italian War of Independence, resulting in a French-Sardinian victory under Napoleon III against the Austrians under Marshal Ferencz Gyulai.
It took place near the town of Magenta in northern Italy on 4 June 1859. Napoleon III’s army crossed the Ticino River and outflanked the Austrian right forcing the Austrian army under General Gyulay to retreat. The close nature of the country, a vast spread of orchards cut up by streams and irrigation canals, precluded elaborate maneuver. The Austrians turned every house into a miniature fortress. The brunt of the fighting was borne by 5,000 grenadiers of the French Imperial Guard, still in the First Empire style uniform. The battle of Magenta was not particularly large, but it was a decisive victory for the French-Sardinian forces. Patrice Maurice de MacMahon was created Duke of Magenta for his role in this battle, and later served as President of the Third French Republic.”
A group of mediums requested, on June 10th, 1859 to speak with a casualty of the battle. I start the account at question 6, after some pleasantries:
- What was your regiment in the army? (Someone whispers: by the language it seems to be a Zuzu – a soldier from the French colonies in North Africa)
– Ah! You are right!
- What was your position?
– That of everyone else.
- What was your name?
– Joseph Midard.
- How did you die?
– Do you want to know all this without paying anything back?
- Fortunately, you have not lost your sense of humor. Tell us now, we will pay you later. How did you die?
– From a plum I got. (Slang – meaning he was shot)
- Were you upset with your death?
– My word that I was not. I am okay here.
- Were you aware of what was happening at the moment of your death?
– No. I was so stunned that I could not believe.
- The battle was not over when you died. Did you follow the events afterwards?
– Yes, since as I have told you, I did not think that I was dead. I wanted to carry on bashing the other dogs. (Meaning the enemy, the Austrians)
- What was your sensation then?
– I was delighted because I felt really light.
- Could you see the spirits of your comrades leaving their bodies?
– I did not think of that because I did not believe I was dead.
- What happened to the crowd of spirits who lost their lives in the tumult of war?
– I believe they did the same as I did.
- The spirits who were fighting bloodthirstily, what did they do when then met in the world of the spirits? Did they still charge against one another?
– Yes, for some time and according to their character.
Spiritism tells us that we are the same person when we pass on. Here we have an example of men fighting, dying, and not realizing they are dead and still trying to engage the enemy. In their minds they continued fighting in the heat of the battle. We are truly what we think we are. If we believe we are in a midst of an action and we die suddenly, we don’t lose that train of thought, but continue on as before.
Only when a newly deceased spirit calms down and is helped by other spirits do some newly freed souls understand they are in a new phase of their life.
Next the soldier tells us that both armies were not alone on the battlefield:
- Could you tell us if among the spirits of the soldiers who died long ago was there still some who were interested in the outcome of the battle?
– In large quantity. You should know that such battles and their consequences are prepared long before and that our adversaries would not have been involved in crimes, as they did, if they were not compelled to that for the reason of future consequences which you will get to know soon.
- There should have been, in the battlefield, spirits interested in the Austrians’ success. Were there then two battlefields among them?
- Did they exert any influence onto the combatants?
– Very significant.
- Can you describe to us how such influence was exerted?
– In the same way that all influences are exerted from the spirits onto people.
Each miniscule action, either causing a soldier to miss or be in the path of a bullet was conducted by spirits. Each casualty, was either wounded or killed for a purpose. From paying for a past wrong in their past life or their current life.
To fully comprehend from where we come from, how we ascend to how we are guided on during our trials on earth, read my book, Explore Your Destiny – Since Your Life’s Path is (mostly) Predetermined. It will inform you of what the Doctrine of Spiritism has revealed to us through the works of many mediums.
A View from an Officer
A séance was held to interview another killed in action soldier. This time the spirit was an officer who served, again, on the French side. The officer was a short time member of the newly established Spiritist Society. He knew about the Doctrine of Spiritism.
The interview begins, after the evocation:
- Did you know about the existence of our Society?
– You know that.
- How did you see our Society when you helped to register it?
– I was not completely decided but I was actually inclined to believe. If it were not for the events that took place, I would certainly be instructed in your circle.
- There are many celebrities who share the Spiritist ideas but dare not to publicly confess them. Would it be desirable that influent people would openly hold that flag?
– Patience, God wishes so and this time the expression does correspond to the truth.
- From which influent side of society do yo think that such an example will come?
– From all classes. From some in the beginning, but later from all classes.
- From the point of view of the study, could you tell us if your ideas are more lucid that those of the Zouve who was here a few moments ago, although you died approximately at the same time?
– Very much so. What he could tell you, indicating a certain elevation, was whispered to him. He is very good but very ignorant and a bit frivolous.
- Are you still interested in the success of our army?
– More than ever since now I am aware of the objective.
- Can you define your thoughts? The objective has always been publicly acknowledged and in your position you should know it after all?
– The objective established by God, do you know it?
OBSERVATION: One cannot ignore the seriousness and extent of that answer. When alive he know people’s objective: as a spirit he sees what is providential in the events.
- In general terms, what do you think about wars?
– I wish you progressed so rapidly as to make them impossible and useless.
- Do you believe that such a day will come when the war will be impossible and useless?
– Yes, no doubt. I can tell you that such a moment is not as distant as you may think although I am not giving you the hopes that you would see that.
- At the time if death, did you promptly recognize yourself?
– I recognized that almost immediately thanks to the vague notions I had about Spiritism.
- Could you tell us something about Mr. … also deceased in the last battle?
– He is still entwined with matter. It is harder for him to detach from it. His thoughts were not devoted to this side of life.
- Did you watch troops entering Milan?
– Yes, with pleasure. I was amazed by the reception given to our troops, first out of patriotism but later for the expectation of the future.
- As a spirit can you exert any influence over the strategic plans?
– Don’t you believe that this has happened since the beginning and can’t you imagine by whom?
- How come the Austrians gave up a strong hold like Pavia so rapidly?
– Out of fear.
- They are demoralized then?
– Completely. Besides, if we influence ours in one direction you must think that another force acts upon them.
The officer is reveling two important facts. First, our earthly political objectives are intertwined with the goals of the spirit world. Our interpretation of events and our vision of an end to any situation is not necessarily tied to the plans of the spirit world. In other words, a defeat for one side, could result in great results years down the road, unforeseen by mere humans.
All plans involve pushing earth along the path to improvement. Nations and peoples may be altered in the pursuit of that goal.
When you look back at history and see victory accomplished against all logic or an army defeated by some quirk of fate, know well the immense power of the spirit realm behind the scene.
All of us, even at a personal level are herded and watched as we progress. To understand how the world is steered you may wish to determine how each individual is pushed along the track. Read my book, 7 Tenets of Spiritism – How They Impact Your Daily Life, to realize the force of the unseen power which affects each detail of our destiny.
Kardec, A. (2015). The Spiritist Review – Journal of Psychological Review – 1859. United States Spiritist Council and the Spiritist Research Institute (IPEAK).
Wikipedia. (2015, August 9). The Battle of Magneta. Retrieved from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Magenta
 Kardec, Allan, United States Spiritist Council,pp.326-328
 Kardec, Allan, United States Spiritist Council,pp.333-335