Current Spiritist Magazine Cover
You are now able to view English translations of the original Spiritist Magazine Editions that were published during Allan Kardec’s lifetime. They are located here:
1. 1858 Editions
2. 1859 Editions
This information was brought to you by a reader of this blog, Jose, from Brazil.
There is fascinating material; Jose provided one such example of a conversation between Allan Kardec and Emmanuel Swedenborg (who preceded Allan Kardec by about 100 years).
Text from Jose:
Below, 2 communications from the spirit of Swedenborg in the Spiritist magazine (written by Kardec) of 1859.
Swedenborg´s communication 1
Evocation of Swedenborg. He responded to the evocation of Mr.
Allan Kardec as:
– Speak my old friend.
– You honor me with the title of your old friend. However, we are
far from being contemporary since I only know you from your
– It is true but I do know you since long ago.
– We wish to make several questions about many points of your doctrine,
but it is late now and our only objective is to ask you if we can frame
these questions in our next session.
– With pleasure. Allow me already to make a correction in my writing
that is important to me. When I wrote my doctrine I affirmed, under
the inspiration of the heavenly counselors who dictated it to me, that
each people were in a separated sphere in heavens, and that the distinct
character of each nation was preserved,not by individuals but in large families. Experience has convinced me that that is not the case.
– Aren’t other points subject to dispute?
– Yes, many others, but this is one of the most important.
– We have here several mediums. Do you have preference to communicate with us?
– No… or better, yes. I would choose a mechanical medium, as you
call them, and fast as well. “
Swedenborg´s communication 2
As promised in the session of the Society, on September 16
Society, September 23rd, 1859
Dear good friends and faithful believers. I wished to come here to encourage
You in the path that you walk with such a great endeavor with respect to the Spiritist subject. Your zeal is appreciated in the spiritual world.
Move on but be aware that the obstacles will still block you for some time. Thus, as with me, you will not lack detractors. I preached Spiritism a century
ago and found enemies of all kinds. I also had keen followers that supported
My Spiritist moral and doctrine are not exempt of great mistakes,
which I do acknowledge now. Thus, the penalties are not eternal, I see
well. God is very just and good to eternally punish the creature that has
not had sufficient strength to resist to the passions. Also, what I said
about the world of the angels, preached in the temples, was not but an
illusion of my senses. In good faith I thought I had seen it, as I said, but
I was wrong. You are in the best path for you are better enlightened than
we were in my time.
Carry on, but be prudent, so that your enemies do not find strong
weapons against you. Watch over the space you gain daily! Thus, courage!
Your future is guaranteed. Your strength is your speech in the name of reason.
Do you have questions to me? I will respond now.
1. You had the first revelation in London, 1745. Did you wish for that?
Were you already involved with the theological questions?
I was already involved with that but in no way I wished for that revelation.
It came spontaneously to me.
2. Who was the spirit that appeared to you saying that he was God
Himself? Was it really God?
No. I believed in what he said because I saw a super human being and
I was flattered.
3. Why has he taken God’s name?
To be better obeyed.
4. Can God directly manifest to men?
He certainly could but no longer does that.
5. There was a time when He did manifest then?
Yes, in the first ages of Earth.
6. That spirit who made you write things that you now recognize
wrong, did he do it in ill-faith?
He did not do it in ill-faith. He was mistaken himself, for he was not
elevated enough. Today I see that the illusions of my own spirit and intelligence influenced him, despite anything. However, among some system
errors, it is easy to acknowledge great truths.
7. Your doctrine is founded on the correspondences. Do you still believe
in those relationships that you found among things of the material world
with each thing of the moral world?
No. It is a fiction.
8. What do you understand by these words: God is man himself?
God is not man: man is an image of God.
9. Please elaborate.
I say that man is an image of God because the intelligence, the genie
that he eventually receives is an emanation of the Divine Omnipotence.
He represents God on Earth by that power he exerts onto nature and by
the great virtues he has the capability of acquiring.
10. Should we consider man a part of God?
No. Man is not part of Divinity. It is only his image.
11. Could you tell us how the communications from the spirits were
received by you? Did you write what was revealed to you like the mediums
or by inspiration?
When I was in silence, worshiping, my spirit was in a kind of ecstasy,
and I clearly saw an image before me, speaking with me, dictating what I
had to write. Sometimes, my imagination mixed with all that.
12. What should we think about the fact mentioned by Knight Beylon,
with respect to the revelation you made to Queen Luisa Ulrika?
The revelation was true. Beylon denatured that.
13. What is your opinion about the Spiritist Doctrine, as is today?
I told you that you are in a safer path than I was since your lights are
generally broader. I had to fight a much greater ignorance and, in particular,